After a long weekend filled with soccer tournaments in some ridiculously cold and windy weather, I figured I’d do a post to ad to a post I did almost exactly 2 years ago. Consider this the 11th type of Soccer parent, but really I’ve seen this parent at plenty other events.
Here’s a little background before I go on: I don’t have a problem with the consumption of alcohol; consuming, or being around people who drink. This is a long way away from my TSA days where one would have to sign a covenant to explicitly stay completely away from consuming an alcoholic drink. It was forbidden… but that’s another story for another day. It’s when one drinks to the point of being a plain drunken mess in which I have a problem.
Going back to my original thought, please DO NOT come to your child’s event liquored up. I know, this might be a “holier than thou” post, but seriously who in their right mind thinks it is OK to come to your kids event drunk?
Let me tell you exactly what happens when you come drunk:
- You look like a complete F-Tard. Yes, I just dropped the first letter of an F-bomb. It was warranted.
- You emotionally hurt and will possibly scar your child.
- You make everybody around you uncomfortable.
- You risk endangering your child, and your family with your recklessness.
- You will more than likely say inappropriate things when something doesn’t go your way, which will probably lead to #’s 1,2,3 and 5.
- You will more than likely DO inappropriate things, which again may lead to 1-5.
- You risk losing the opportunity to actually enjoy your child’s event, and may even risk a possible suspension of said event.
- You are teaching your child how to be an adult.
I don’t know why this has struck a chord with me so much, because I didn’t grow up with alcoholic parents, nor am I a recovering addict. I have just known too many people whose parents made them suffer for their addiction. I also know that this probably stems from a deeper issue within the drunk, which sucks.
What are we supposed to do in these situations?
- As a parent?
- As a friend?
- As a human?
Have you ever experienced another parent like this?
Or, have you ever been this parent?
I would honestly call the cops as they assumingly will drive home? Either way I would also do my best to confront the person outside of the drunken binge. I hate folks like this to be honest.